- Know your risk for flooding. You can use FEMA's Flood Map Center to find information.
- Sign up for a warning system. Sagadahoc county uses the CodeRED Community Alerting system which is free to sign up with.
- Know your evacuation routes.
- Protect your home by doing things such as installing a sump pump, keeping important paperwork in watertight containers and keep drains and gutters clear of debris.
During a Flood:
- NEVER drive or try to walk through flooded area's. A very small amount of water can easily wash you or a vehicle away.
- Do not drive on bridges over flooded bodies of water. Swift moving water and debris can easily damage the structure of the bridge.
- Listen to emergency alerts put out by authorities, the actions you may need to take will depend on the type of flooding that is occurring and where it is.